Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Girl meets Seattle

This is the story behind my move to Seattle. I want it on here so I can remember it forever, because it has forever changed my life. This journey has been a great one, and it began like this...

I moved to Seattle on February 4, 2007. But lets rewind back to a few months before that. I think it was around October 2006 when I had a strong feeling that I needed a change. I loved St. George. I loved living there. I loved being close to my family and friends. But I knew I needed to have a new adventure. So I started contemplating where I'd go. I'd need a job where I was going to live and I'd need a place to stay. Hmmm. Nanny! Perfect job for that! I could find an lds family, live with them and work for them. Perfect! So I put my profile on nannies4hire.com and that was that. I had a few people email me. Some from California, some from the East Coast. I thought seriously about the job in California. Moving somewhere warm and sunny and by the beach sounded good to me! But I didn't feel 100% right about it. Time went on and I left my profile on there and kind of forgot about it. I started to wonder if staying in St. George would be the best thing for me. I was in school, I was kind of dating this guy, ect. I was comfortable there. And that made more sense right? It was definitely the easier choice.

A few months went by and I had put the idea of moving out of my head. It was the middle of January when I got an email. It was from a lady that had seen my profile on nannies4hire. She told me about her family, they were lds and she was a stay at home mom. Their young daughter who was only three years old had cancer and they needed someone to help with their one year old because it was getting difficult having to go to the hospital daily with two small children. I had a really good feeling about it. They were wanting someone for only a few months so I thought, perfect! I'd go up there for an adventure and to help out this family, and then I'd go back home. She called me the next day after talking with her husband and asked if I could be up there in two weeks. I immediately said yes! I hung up the phone and was so excited. Everything about it just felt right. That day I gave my employer my notice. I finished my two weeks, packed up my car, and was off! Off to my new adventure!

I was so lucky because they were such an awesome family and I really enjoyed the three months I lived there and worked for them. But then came time to make the big decision. Go back home or continue my life up here? I didn't feel ready to leave yet. I knew there was something more for me to experience here. I talked to one of my best friends from back home about my conflict and she told me she had a friend going to school up here and that I should see if I could stay with her for awhile. That sounded great to me! I could stay for a couple of weeks and experience Seattle before I went back (I hadn't really gotten to do that yet because most nights I worked until it was already dark out.) So I stayed with her friend and started going to the James Hill singles ward in Kent. I really liked it there a lot. I decided that I wanted to find another job so I could at least stay for the summer. That Wednesday I went to institute for the first time. After class I had a guy come up to me and introduce himself. His name was Daniel Jones. We talked about what I was doing in Seattle and I told him I was trying to find another job so I could stay up here longer. He told me the company he worked for was looking for an office assistant and that I should come in and interview. I went in the next day and got hired. The good times I had from working there are some of my favorite memories. We seriously had so much fun! Daniel quickly became my best friend. A best friend that I will have forever. I feel like he's family and I am so thankful for him! I don't know if I would have ended up staying here if it wasn't for him!

And the rest is history. I never left. Seattle became my home.

I am so thankful that I was lead up here. These past three years have by far been the best of my life. Not only did I make friendships that will last forever, I also met and married my eternal companion. My number one best friend. The person I want to spend my life with and beyond. The person I want to have kids with and grow old with. I love Erich with everything that I am. I can't imagine my life without him. I look back and see all of the events that happened that lead me to where I am today. Everything happened exactly how it needed to so that I would find him. How cool is that?! God is great. And He knows what's best for us, even when it seems we are walking a little blindly. And for that I will be forever grateful.

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

Great story.

Kellie said...

Thats such a cool story! It's true God really does know whats best for us! This is random but Im just curious...Did the three year old girl that had cancer ever recover?

Erich+Kelly said...

Oh yes thank goodness! (I should have put that in there) She is in remission and doing really good! Only has to go in for check-up's now.